HISTORY OF TINOS

Tinos is the fourth largest island in the Cyclades (area 194,59 sq km) after Naxos, Andros and Paros. It has 8,636 inhabitants (census 2011 [1]) divided into 62 settlements. It is located in the northern Cyclades and is located southeast of Andros and northwest of Mykonos.

Modern times
Until 1821 Tinos was the economic capital of the Cyclades with about 30,000 inhabitants. On the island there were consulates and sub-consulates of the countries of France, Russia, England, Denmark, Spain.

The revolution began in the village of Pyrgos on 31 March with Georgios Palamaris and in Tinos on 20 April. About 5,000 troopers took part in the race on ships of Spetses, Psara and Hydra. 2,000 dead are estimated. According to a table written by G. Amiralis, the Tinos provided 339.384 gourmet and important information for the needs of the struggle, as they had important communities in Constantinople and Smyrna, which in 1885 reached 8,000 and 3,000 people respectively.

In the late 18th century. the relations with the Hellenism of the Asia Minor beaches are increasing and the community of Tinos is flourishing in Smyrna, the son of which was Saint Ambrose, later Metropolitan of Moschonissia.

Later years - Finding the icon of the Virgin Mary on January 30, 1823, provokes national emotion and is interpreted as a sacred message of the law of struggle. Emotion, but also indignation, will be caused in August 1940 by the torpedoing of the worm "Elli" by an Italian submarine.